Embracing the Struggle

A middle school teacher reflects on educating, organizing and inspiring inner-city youth.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Allies vs. Axis Powers

The dichotomy of the two kinds of classes that I teach is growing.

First block continues to be helpful and productive. We even had to elect a class representative today... and who did the class chose? A girl that was known by previous teachers to be a real trouble-maker. Sure, the whole thing was a popularity contest; and this girl is surely known to be a leader among her peers because she is a tough chick (she's had more than three referrals last year). Yet, I have only known her to be social and outgoing. I am encouraging her to accept the elected post as class representative. This is particularly meaningful because the position requires good grades and attendance. If this has been a problem for her in the past, the new reputation could be a healthy change for her. I also believe that I’ve made an alliance here-- this alliance is allowing the class to run smoothly.

I am trying to create similar alliances in second block. Overall, they were a little more receptive today. We were taking pre-tests, which surely bored them to death, but it also occupied them for a little while and quieted them down. The only thing is that when the early birds finished, they were asked to read. They hate reading. The early birds are the smart kids; they are also the most disruptive because they get bored easily. They talk instead of reading, which doesn’t allow the slower students to finish in a peaceful atmosphere. I had to watch them at every moment and pounce on them if they started it up. It was incredibly draining, not to mention annoying.

Plus, I had an experienced teacher come in and observe during this class. It would’ve been helpful, perhaps, on another day when they kids had more chances to be disruptive. Maybe it would’ve been helpful if this teacher had good feedback to give. Unfortunately for me, this teacher decided to discipline one of my students for talking instead of allowing me to do it. I’m sure this was completely devastating to my authority in the classroom. To dispel the damage, I made funny looks behind him when he wasn’t looking and made sure most of my kids noticed. I also asked the teacher, in private, to not discipline my students. I’m glad that he left shortly thereafter (and apologized later). But, I still think he’s a jackass.

Still, there was a final thing that I did that probably REALLY screwed things up for me today. I had the kids turn in their tests 5 minutes before the bell rang. I asked them to stand up from their seats (they had been sitting for an hour and a half) and stretch. Some of them raised up their hands, following me. Others just stood there. I asked them to do arm circles. None of them followed. They just looked at me like I was an idiot. They were clearly too cool for me. I realize that I have a class of “popular” kids, that wouldn’t be caught dead doing arm circles in English, but I just think they are lacking in sense of humor. What irritated me more is that they openly ignored me.

The bell rang. I said in my most stern, bitchy, motherly voice, “Sit down NOW.” I told them that I am tired of them not following directions when asked to do so—they talk when asked to quiet down, they refuse to work in groups and they refuse to do silly arm circles when asked to do so. I said that I refuse to take their crap. (Yes, I said the word “crap.” Is that bad?) I told them that they can either participate or they can fail my class. And I dismissed them.

And then I felt bad about it.

The kids mimicked me and laughed at me in the hallway. For whatever reason they did that, they clearly don’t take me seriously. But, I don’t know how to get them to take me seriously. I’ve tried reasoning with them. I’ve tried calling their parents. I’ve tried holding them after class. I’ve tried raising my voice in a display of power. Doesn’t work. None of it.

To make things worse, my core class came in with more attitudes today. I kept them after school for 12 minutes yesterday, just to get them to sit in silence. I had waited until they were quiet for three consecutive minutes and then I gave them “the speech” about their citizenship to this country and why they need to learn to read and write. I saw eye rolling. They weren’t listening. Or they don’t understand. Maybe both. Today they continued to talk over me and not let me give directions without interruption. I moved some students to separate chairs. I kept them 10 minutes past the bell again. I told them I would call their parents. Only one student apologized and begged me not to call. The others shrugged it off and blamed the other kids in the class.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. But, I feel utterly defeated and I’ve only completed the third day of school. I hope this war doesn't last too much longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home