Embracing the Struggle

A middle school teacher reflects on educating, organizing and inspiring inner-city youth.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Suffer the Little Children

Teaching is a daily struggle against giving up. The kids are a pain in the ass. The administration is disorganized. Other teachers at school only complain and don't help the situation. Most of my students are flunking because they choose not to do the work. I feel like I'm banging my head against a cement wall and sometimes I literally do. Yet, somehow, I manage to continue to wake up and go to work every morning at the crack of dawn and remain there until after dusk. Maybe it's the challenge. Maybe it's the hope I still harbor for positive change. Maybe I've simply lost my mind.

Under the supervision of the Boss, and other teachers, I have begun to keep my classes for detention immediately after class for unacceptable behavior (including talking during the lesson, shouting, throwing things, drawing on each other with markers, cursing, failing to do their work, and interrupting me). This, in general, includes every student in the class. I've been holding my first and second period block for their nutrition (20 minutes). I can hold my third and fourth period block for ten minutes during lunch. I hold my sixth period after school. This is just to get them to shut up for five straight minutes, something they seem unable to manage during classtime, and are still unable to manage after class. This is my third straight day doing this routine. And I plan to keep it up until they change their behavior.

Today, I really stuck it to them during detention. I didn't say a word to them and didn't release them at all. I pulled out my applesauce from my lunch bag, sat on my stool in the front of the class where they could all see me easily, and forced them to watch me slowly spoon every bit into my mouth. Many of them groaned and gasped at my incredulous behavior. I heard complaints about how it was against their rights. And I basked in my sweet revenge.

As much as I wanted to yell about how they have no right to withhold the education of themselves and others, I kept quiet and just ate my applesauce, staring quietly ahead. I must have looked crazy.

At least I got them to think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home